Syrah 2014 5L
Member Price $363.83
Wine Club members please login for updated pricing.
October 15th - 21st, 2014
Rich boysenberry purple splashes in the glass. Aromas of blueberry and licorice tempt your senses with elements of vanilla and violets. Blackberries and tobacco develop on the palate while sage and petrol roll into soft round tannins on the finish. This distinctive Syrah is an exquisite accompaniment to robust meat dishes.
Pacific Rim Wine Competition - Gold; International Wine Spirit Competition - Silver; Okanagan Life BC Wine Awards - Bronze; San Francisco International Wine Competition - Bronze; Decanter World Wine Awards - Bronze; LA International Wine Competition - Bronze
93% Syrah, 3% Viognier
2014 was a stellar year for grape growth in the Okanagan Valley. Due to the warm winter and early spring temperature, we welcomed a very early bud burst that was recorded three weeks ahead of the normal average. In May, we saw rapid growth in the vineyards that did not let up until early August. This ample growing season gave the vineyard crews plenty of time to keep the vines trimmed and thinned to let enough sun and air reach the ripening clusters. Within a three week time frame, all of the estate vines showed great fruit-set and veraison. This short veraison window ensured even ripening of the fruit-set which resulted in the fruit reaching perfect balance in sugar, acid and phenolic composition leading to spectacular flavours. Once fruit selection finished and the vineyard nets were put up, the Poplar Grove crew waited three weeks before ramping up for harvest. In summary, 2014 was warm, lengthy and balanced with a mighty fine finish at the end.
The Syrah grapes were hand picked and sorted in our Haynes Creek Vineyard in south-eastern Osoyoos. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The grapes were crushed and combined with a small amount of viognier skins (3%) to add aromatics and texture to the wine. The must was cold soaked for four days allowing partial wild yeast fermentation to occur before the wine was inoculated with cultured yeasts. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrel over the winter and finished in late December. 30% of the 2014 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 70% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 18 months in the cellar prior to release.
The Syrah 2014 will develop for well over a decade. Ready to drink upon release. Drink 2017 – 2028.