Clear, pale straw in colour, Aromas of short bread cookies and Golden Delicious apples expel from the bottle upon the first pour. Rich toffee, vanilla and apple turnover flavours excite your palate. The round acidity and medium body create a textural expression for this Chardonnay.
September 17th & September 22nd
This wine is meant to be enjoyed upon release, but will drink well for seven years.
2021 arrived from one of the easiest winters we have seen with no bud or vine death detected. Bud burst was a full week ahead of 2020 so it was an earlier than normal start to the season. Early spring was dry and cool. A light frost in mid-May occurred but the vines were unscathed. May’s average temperatures were between 20°C – 25°C. First heat arrived the end of May: 40°C in Osoyoos that lasted for 2 days. With only a couple days of rain, it was one of the driest springs on record. The last week of June set records with a 7-day heat dome which brought 46°C in Osoyoos, 44°C in Skaha, and 43°C in Penticton. The remainder of July enjoyed consistent heat with temperatures in the mid to high 30°C. The first week of August saw some cloudy skies due to smoke from fires, but the next 2 weeks of August were crystal clear and hot with very little precipitation. August 20th saw the cooler weather move in and 25°C became the norm. September was beautiful, sunny and warm, 25°C – 30°C, perfect for ripening grapes. Whites were harvested 10-14 days earlier than average. Because of the heat dome, the estate vineyards were 15-20% down in tonnage but showed excellent fruit quality.
Chardonnay involves our most complex winemaking methods in the Poplar Grove white wine program. The wine is sourced from four individual estate blocks located 66% in Osoyoos and 34% on the Naramata Bench. Our vineyard team harvested the fruit on separate dates to ensure the different blocks were at optimal maturity in brix and flavour profile. Each of the Chardonnay blocks are processed and fermented separately and then blended to taste. 80% of the Chardonnay is fermented in stainless steel tanks while the remaining 20% is fermented in 228L new French oak Burgundian barrels. Some malolactic fermentation occurs naturally in the barrel.