Gold Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards (95 points)
Wine Club Member Price $35.14
October 18 - October 29, 2018
Medium purple. A charming, silky style laced with dark fruits and enticing savory elements. Youthful aromas of white pepper and blueberry. Flavours of raspberry and spice with notes of tarragon on the finish. Beautifully balanced, with bright acidity that marries well with grilled lamb and roasted duck dishes.
The 2018 growing season was similar to 2017. Spring started off slowly and was wetter than average. 2018 found the vineyards two weeks behind our normal bud burst. Once the warmer weather arrived mid-spring, it caused the above average snow levels in the mountains to melt rapidly resulting in another year of flooding. The flooding did not wash any topsoil away and, after a challenging start, the end of spring weather conditions were perfect for an ideal fruit set. Once summer arrived, it was hot and dry which tested our vineyard crews to pay close attention to irrigation regimes and leaf-to-fruit ratios. The vineyards soaked up the summer sunshine; meticulous farming and careful yield management allowed the grapes to fully ripen on the vine. September was wet. After each rainfall, the tractors were driven down the vineyard rows to blow the water off the vines and fruit ensuring there was no opportunity for mold to develop. A beautiful autumn saw the perfect weather to allow the fruit to catch up after a wet September.
99% Syrah 1% Viognier
The Syrah grapes were hand picked and sorted in our southeastern Osoyoos vineyard. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The must was cold soaked for four days before the wine was inoculated. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrel over the winter and finished in late December. 25% of the 2018 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 75% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 21 months in the cellar prior to release.
Ready to drink upon release. Drink 2021 – 2031.