Silver Medal - Decanter World Wine Awards (91 points)
Deep purple in colour. Fragrant clove and savoury blackberry aromatics burst from the bottle. Married with flavours of succulent raspberry, smooth vanilla and a dash of bacon. Medium acidity plays with bold tannins while a dominant oak essence encourages this wine to finish long and complex. Accompanied by roasted lamb this wine makes an exquisite pairing for any dinner party.
Wine Club Price $31.23
October 15-16, 2019
The 2019 winter brought extremes: warm 12° January days to lows of - 22° and lots of snow in February. When the buds started pushing, we noted that the colder months had resulted in a bit of bud and vine death in our Naramata Bench Vineyards. Bud burst was two weeks later than average due to the long winter. The beginning of Okanagan spring was one of the driest on record. However, by the end of June, the valley saw a cooling trend that lasted through most of July and brought much precipitation. At the end of July, the real Okanagan summer started with hot sunny days and little precipitation. The grapes soaked in the summer heat and quickly made up for lost time. Variation in our reds happened right on schedule. September was wetter than usual. October was dry with 15° days and 2 to 6° nights. On October 9th, a -4° frost dropped the leaves in most of our vineyards. After the frost, the weather was perfect to hang the fruit until the end of October, with all the remaining vineyards achieving the right amount of favour, sugar, and acid. No Floods. No Smoke. Overall, it was a low tonnage year with excellent ripe fruit across all varietals in our vineyards.
95% Syrah, 4% Malbec, 1% Viognier
The Syrah grapes were hand-picked and sorted in our southeastern Osoyoos vineyard. The must was cold-soaked for four days before the wine was inoculated. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrels over the winter and finished in late December. 25% of the 2019 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 75% was kept in two-year-old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 21 months in the cellar prior to release.
Drink from 2023 – 2028.