Wine Club Price $31.23
A medium violet hue appears in the glass. Aromas of stewed blue and black berries, and earthy bramble arrives on the nose. This palate of juicy black currant, vanilla, and dark chocolate is well balanced with bright lively acidity. More substantial in body, our Syrah will pair well with lamb and savory pork dishes.
A cold Canadian winter, unusually wet spring, and dry summer yielded wines with excellent balance and distinct varietal flavours. Crops were lighter than normal, but the vintage will be remembered for unprecedented food and drought conditions, and a persistent haze from nearby forest fires. While not directly affecting our grape-growing areas, the haze blanketed the sun coverage, preventing the customary heat spikes and positively impacted the growing season by slowing down the grape ripening periods and flavour development. Ripening was assisted by the rigorous leaf plucking and bunch thinning of our dogged, never-say-die vineyard crew. Ultimately, slightly lower yields and phenomenal fruit quality delivered an excellent 2017 vintage, characterized by high flavour concentration, moderate alcohol, balanced tannins, complexity and natural acidity.
98% Syrah, 2% Viognier
The Syrah grapes were hand picked and sorted in our southeastern Osoyoos vineyard. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The must was cold soaked for four days before the wine was inoculated. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrel over the winter and finished in late December. 15% of the 2017 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 85% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 21 months in the cellar prior to release.
Ready to drink upon release. Drink 2020 – 2030.