Wine Club Member Price: $24.97
November 11th, 2022
This dry Riesling showcases a medium lemon hue. Aromas of honeycomb, apple blossom and lemon balm are prominent with the first pour. Notes of nectarine, Granny Smith apple and Meyer lemon linger on the palate. The perfect pairing to a grilled scallop dish or a spicy tofu pad thai.
The 2022 vintage arrived from a very challenging 2021 winter with an arctic outflow that lasted for almost 2 weeks. Fortunately, all of our vineyards escaped the extreme cold unscathed. The rest of the 2022 winter was seasonal with the occasional dip in temperature past -8°C. Cool early spring temperatures led to a bud burst that was 10 – 14 days later than average and a slow start to the growing season. The cool weather and above-average rainfall persisted through the entire spring. By the end of June, the weather had turned around and the typical dry, hot summer weather arrived and persisted until mid-August. A couple of typical Okanagan heatwaves came our way in July. Mid-August saw two weeks of unruly summer storms during which our vineyard on Upper Bench Road suffered a 15% crop loss due to hail damage. September was beautiful with +30°C temperatures for the first two weeks and clear skies throughout. For the last two weeks of September and the entire month of October, the weather was beautiful with +25°C every day making these two months perfect for ripening grapes. Harvest was approximately 2 weeks later than normal. With a tight time frame to get all the fruit off our vines, harvest began with the Chardonnay, picked for our Extra Brut on September 29, and ended on November 12, when the Munson Mountain Cabernet Franc was harvested. A steady growing season that started slow and ended fast resulting in ripe, well-balanced grapes for the 2022 vintage.
This wine is meant to be enjoyed upon release. Drink between 2023 - 2027
This wine is made from 100% Riesling grapes, sourced from vineyards in Naramata and Summerland. The various parcels of juice were inoculated with a yeast culture that accentuates aromatics. When fermentation was 1/3 complete, 25% of the fermentin juice was moved to neutral burgundy barrels to complete fermentation. When fermentation was complete, the wine was stirred bi-weekly to give the wine complexity and structure. The remaining 75% was fermented in stainless steel to dryness and stored cold. Both batches were then blended to create a silky and full bodied Riesling.