Deep ruby in colour. Aromas of cherry jam and nutmeg intertwined with cranberry and dark chocolate essence. This first sip brings dark cherry with white pepper and blackberry with a hint of cinnamon. Soft, integrated tannins build on Syrah's classic meatiness allows the wine to b a full-bodied, sultry expression of Okanagan Syrah.
The Syrah grapes were handpicked and sorted in each of the two South Osoyoos Syrah vineyards. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The grapes were crushed and combined with a small amount of Viognier (4%) to follow the traditional Rhone method of co-fermentation. The must was cold-soaked for four days allowing partial wild yeast fermentation to occur before the wine was inoculated with cultured yeasts.
During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrels over the winter and finished in late December. 30% of the 2012 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 70% was kept in one and two-year-old French oak barrels for 18 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 18 months in the cellar prior to release.