Poplar Grove Winery Tasting Room Manager
At POPLAR GROVE, we curate unforgettable guest experiences. Our Tasting
Room Manager is a key member of our Hospitality team that works together to
create rich guest experiences that showcase our estate wines. The Tasting Room Manager coordinates all aspects of the winery tasting rooms and is responsible for driving revenue, wine club membership and enhancing the overall guest experience. This is a hands-on selling position where the candidate will be highly skilled at sales and customer service and balancing the delivery of a gracious experience for all guests with effective sales techniques in a relaxed and friendly setting.
If you are seeking an exciting role at the forefront of BC’s most dynamic tourism hospitality area and if you love hospitality with a contagious enthusiasm for wine – we want you!
- Provide support and recommendations to achieve Poplar Grove’s goal of being the number one winery destination in the Okanagan Valley.
- Ensure that visitors, trade, and VIP guests have an exceptional and delightful experience at Poplar Grove.
- Supervise and perform hospitality functions which can include greeting visitors, providing tasting and wine education, and mentoring staff to deliver the highest standards of customer service.
- Manage all recruitment functions for hiring, orientation, training, development, supervision, and performance evaluation of all Tasting Room associates
- Direct and manage the day to day retail sales operations, customer service and scheduling, cash reconciliation, wine inventory, staff scheduling, and the overall guest experience.
- Achieve annual revenue goals and provide periodic reporting to management and staff on status.
- Ensure that Poplar Grove wine club membership sales goals are met.
- Manage day to day financial duties of the winery retail sales, including banking and communication with accounting.
- Assist in setting the annual Tasting Room budget, projected sales projected expenses, and participate in budget reviews.
- Develop annual goals for each employee and provide regular performance reviews.
- Foster high motivation and enthusiasm by developing and implementing effective staff incentives. Mentor staff and provide an exemplary model of interaction with PCE’s guests.
- Manage staff communications to ensure understanding of and adherence to all policies including but not limited to: daily opening and closing procedures, cash handling procedures, and inventory processes procedures.
- Print, review and approve bi-weekly time cards, calculate staff incentives, and submit time cards and incentive information before payroll deadlines.
- In collaboration with the Wine Club Manager, develop a schedule for annual consumer campaigns to generate post-visit sales. Ensure that we reach our consumers with all winery campaigns by collecting contact information and tying transactions to customer records.
- Develop and maintain networking programs with local lodging establishments, restaurants, visitor bureaus, chambers of commerce, etc., to increase visitor traffic to the winery.
- Promote Poplar Grove within the local community to key partners and be accessible and visible socially.
- Coordinate trade, wine club, large group, and other visits with other department managers, including the Vanilla Pod personnel, to assure high-quality service and accommodation.
- Implement and maintain effective open-door communication that crosses departmental lines to reach all winery employees.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with clarity and consistency
- Professional, self-motivated, organized and efficient
- A natural host who is energized by educating and entertaining a wide variety of people in a lively and approachable manner; comfortable with public speaking
- Warm, welcoming and poised, especially under stress
- Able to multi-task in a fast-paced team environment
- Flexible and able to manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Successful track record in luxury sales, hospitality, and customer engagement, preferably with a wine industry focus
- Professional appearance and polished demeanour
- Committed to excellence and high standards
- Exceptional wine knowledge and experience with the sale of luxury wines, hospitality and events, wine club, and tasting room oversight/management.
- You are a consummate team player with genuine enthusiasm to share your passion for wine.
- Knowledge of Wine Direct (Vin 65), though training is available.
- Intermediate computer skills; experience with CRM or another database system
- Knowledge of provincial liquor licensing and legal compliance issues related to the operation of a wine retail and tasting room.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in retail or hospitality management. A bachelor’s degree and wine credentials are preferred.
- Must be at least 19 years of age with a clean driving record and active driver’s license
- Clean and professional appearance.
- Strong work ethic.
- Education: High School diploma required, college degree preferred
- CSW, WSET, CS or comparable certification a plus, Serving it Right certification
- Capable of performing moderate physical activities including standing, walking, climbing, reaching, and carrying. Requires lifting and moving objects up to 40 lbs. in weight.
- Flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings as necessary.
Applications will be accepted only by email with cover letter and resume attached. Please send your resume to email@example.com and do not paste your cover letter and resume into the body of your email. No calls or drop offs, please.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however only eligible candidates will be contacted.