Cart 0 items: $0.00


Qty Item Description Price Total
  SubTotal $0.00

View Cart


Poplar Grove Winery

Syrah 2013

Syrah 2013
Wine Club Price $27.31
In Stock
Add To Cart
/ Bottle
SKU: SY 13

Wine Profile

Wine Profile
Tasting Notes
Deep crimson in colour. Aromas of blueberry and violets intertwined with a savoury cocoa essence. The first sip brings baked plum with black pepper and blackberry with a hint of caramel. Soft, integrated tannins build on the Syrah’s classic meatiness and allows the wine to be a full-bodied, sultry expression of Okanagan Syrah.
BC Wine Awards - Okanagan Life Magazine - Gold: Pacific Rim Wine Competition - Silver; LA International Wine Awards - Silver; San Fran Wine Competition - Silver; Wine Align National Wine Awards - Silver International Wine and Spirit Competition - Bronze; Decanter World Wine Awards - Bronze.
Vineyard Notes
Finally in 2013, Mother Nature offered us a break from the previous few years of difficult and challenging vintages. The 2013 Winter was fairly mild. An early and warm Spring saw the vines bud two weeks prior to normal average. The glorious hot spell that arrived for May long weekend found us barely able to keep up with the growth in the vineyards. Our Osoyoos vineyard Chardonnay vines started flowering in early June and berry set took place in a record three days. The rest of the vines followed in succession. July proved to be a winner when it came to temperature and intensity. These great growing conditions continued until mid-September when it cooled down significantly. Picking of the fruit was done at peak ripeness and flavour intensity. Overall, 2013 will go on record as a top vintage.
Winemaker Notes
The Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes were hand picked and sorted in our Hayne’s Creek Vineyard in South Osoyoos. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The grapes were crushed and combined with a small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon (7%) to add weight and texture to the wine. The must was cold soaked for four days allowing partial wild yeast fermentation to occur before the wine was inoculated with cultured yeasts. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occurred in barrel over the winter and finished in late December. 30% of the 2013 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 70% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 15 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 18 months in the cellar prior to release.
Released in June 2016
Other Notes
The Syrah 2013 will develop for well over a decade. Ready to drink upon release. Drink 2016 – 2027.

Wine Specs

Wine Specs
Okanagan Valley
Harvest Date
October 9th - November 4th, 2013
Bottling Date