Cart 0 items: $0.00

Close

Qty Item Description Price Total
  Subtotal $0.00

View Cart

 

Poplar Grove Winery

Pinot Gris Viognier 2016
New Release

Pinot Gris Viognier 2016
Wine Club Price $19.48
In Stock
Add To Cart
$21.65
/ Bottle
Wine Club Exclusive

Wine Profile

Wine Profile
Tasting Notes
This enticing white blend presents pale straw in colour. The first aromas are a bounty of peach, apricot & honey suckle. Vanilla acquaints the nose and lends to the flavour profile - reminiscent of a creamy Campino peach candy. This wine is well balanced with a piquancy of lime and lemon oil. Overall, it bursts with a refreshing minerality that finishes silky smooth. The Pinot Gris Viognier is a delightful everyday sipper sure to please any palate.
Vineyard Notes
2016 was a test of patience and persistence in our vineyards, but we embraced the struggle and are proud of the results. Spring arrived very early and warm, with bud break four weeks ahead of normal, putting our vineyard crew into high gear with great anticipation for the growing season ahead. A late April snowstorm in South Osoyoos took the thriving vines by surprise, destroying a tiny fraction of our petit verdot vineyards. The summer that followed turned out to be wetter and cooler than expected, which slowed fruit development and forced increased vineyard management and around the clock weather monitoring. Luckily, our saving grace came with the long, warm fall season that saw a gradual cool down in temperature week after week, thus giving the grapes extra time to achieve full ripeness and flavour characteristics. This extra time gave our production team a chance to plan for the biggest harvest from our vineyards yet! The first handpick was in our Osoyoos vineyards on September 20, 2016 about four weeks later than in 2015. The vineyard crew carefully monitored temperatures and individual vineyard development, and harvested from September through until November 11th, when the cabernet sauvignon was finally picked. The extended fall season was instrumental in preparing the vines to survive what was to be the coldest winter the Okanagan Valley has seen in 50 years. The slow cooling process throughout fall allowed the vines time to enter a gradual dormancy, turn woody and store their reserves for hibernation so they can thrive again come spring 2017. Overall, the 2016 growing season was long, weathered and embraced by the team. We are grateful for the persistence and patience of the vineyard crew and Mother Nature, which resulted in yet another fantastic vintage.
Production Notes
Our pinot gris and viognier were hand harvested from our Naramata and Osoyoos vineyards. The fruit for this wine was pressed and fermented separately at cold temperatures to retain crisp freshness. 65% of the grapes were grown in our Naramata vineyards and the other 35% grown in our Osoyoos vineyards. The blend of pinot gris and viognier was specifically chosen for each grapes unique characteristics. The pinot gris brings bright acidity and balance, while the viognier lends beautiful aromatics and weight to the palate. The blend was then arrested towards the end of ferment to retain the natural sweetness of the wine.
Other Notes
This wine is meant to be enjoyed upon release, drink before 2020.

Wine Specs

Wine Specs
Vintage
2016
Varietal
Viognier
Appellation
Okanagan Valley
Download